Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Name of the Star (Shades of London #1)The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved this book. I want to read it all over again. It is a definite re-read for me. I have always been fascinated by the Jack The Ripper case. It feels so far removed and so many detectives and authors have tried to solve the case over the years. Actually, that is the one thing that I like about this story. It has its basis in The Ripper story but it is its own story. It starts off looking like it is one thing and turns into something so much more.

Without going too much into a synopsis that is already available if you click the link of the book, Rory is a transfer student completing her last year of high school in London at an academy or boarding school. Did I mention that I love mysteries and urban fantasies where the students live on the grounds like college students. The freedom is not as broad since they are minors but, as Rory is going to find out, London teens have a lot more privileges than American youth. Rory has a great opportunity, one that a lot of students dream of and it works a bit differently than being an exchange student where the student typically lives with a family. Her parents are smart lawyers and are a few hours away doing an exchange program of sorts as well.

Rory becomes very involved in The Ripper investigation. Her life goes into a tailspin of sorts and the danger is quite real. This is not so much a coming of age story as it is an adjustment to new surroundings. The great thing about that is we get to hear more about London's history while Rory is schooled on the proper way of understanding the difference between London, England and Great Britain and the United Kingdom. I never knew that! I love the colloquialisms that I've heard previous co-workers that work out of the Chelsea office use like, brilliant, when we might say sweet or awesome, or even cool. I enjoyed picturing the descriptions of the area where the academy was located. Maureen Johnson did a great job with the characters and with the imagery. I have a feeling this is a series, or at least I have my fingers crossed.

Review can also be seen at http://ladytechiesbookmusings.blogspot.c...


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Road to Murder by Camilla Trinchieri My rating: 5 of 5 stars Nico Doyle returns in the fourth book in the Tuscan Mystery series, The ...