Friday, May 28, 2021

TakeoverTakeover by Evelyn Sola
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Takeover really was a surprise read for me. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I have to be honest and admit that this book had a couple of firsts for me. I am not going say specifically what they are since they are not on the summarization of the book. Also, because how the author handles these topics speaks to her writing skills. The reader will know what I am referring to when they dig into Takeover. Tara and Ethan have an immediate repulsion to each other the minute they meet. Tara dislikes Ethan because he interrupted her career plans when her father sold his company to Ethan. Ethan dislikes Tara because he thinks she is a rich, spoiled brat. What ensues are some seriously funny moments where it is almost like they are crashing into each other rather than running into each other up to the point where they realize there might be more attraction than dislike between them.

Ethan is a single father, and his life situation definitely does not fit into Tara's life plans, as well as her dating rules. But Ethan pretty much is a whatever I want I find a way to get kind of person and eventually he realizes he wants more than just the toy company he is purchasing from Tara's father, but he has his work cut out for him to convince her to look past her rules for dating.

Tara has a plan. She is not single when the book starts out and she is dating someone that fits in her plans for a specific type of couple. I am amazed at how we have a specific type that we prefer to date which often gets thrown out of the window after dating several individuals of that "type" and finding that maybe we missed the mark with our list. I did it as a teenager and I believe most of us do make that list when we start dating. It would be interesting to see how many of us still hold to the original list.

One of the best things about Takeover is Tara's family. They are a close-knit unit and when you hear someone say they 'have your back', this family really means it. At times it is hilarious, but it is enviable and when things get tough for Tara, she really does not have to question who to turn to because she has great family support. Her stepmother is this amazing combination of mother and friend is colorful and what every stepchild wishes they had in a stepmom. Tara's relationship with her siblings that are twins is also fun to read about. They pretty much seem like triplets and anyone that crosses one of them should watch out for being jumped by three. There are some great conversations between the three of them that I really enjoyed reading. Actually, it is worth mentioning that the witty repartee in Takeover is something that takes this book to the next level.

I am imagining that the next book, hopefully, will be about one of the siblings and I really look forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Road to Murder by Camilla Trinchieri My rating: 5 of 5 stars Nico Doyle returns in the fourth book in the Tuscan Mystery series, The ...