Wednesday, May 26, 2021

He Started ItHe Started It by Samantha Downing
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I literally do not know how to rate this book. Does hating everyone in the book mean I hate the book? Doesn't there have to be at least one character that the reader can cheer for and hope they come out on top? Doesn't there have to be a hero or heroine? I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. What I can unequivocally say is that this author knows how to write characters and write a story that keeps the reader engaged. I can honestly say that I found not one of the characters redeeming. Beth had some positive qualities, i.e., her love for her sister and the desire to find her and support her. Outside of that, the age of the family members did not matter, and I am willing to bet that if there were any children in that family they would be just as despicable as the adults.

He started it depicts a repeat road trip that three siblings are taking to mirror a road trip they took with their grandfather when they were younger. So, the story switches between telling the story of the trip that occurred when Beth, Portia, and Eddie Morgan were young and now when they are trying to step through the same trip as a condition of their grandfather's will in order to secure their inheritance. What is amazing is that I can truthfully admit that Samantha Downing is a great writer. If her intention was to pit the reader against the characters and see who comes out on top, she really excelled at it. These characters all managed to make me wish I could physically hit every one of them. If I had been reading from a physical book, it would have hit a wall more than once. I love my iPad so I would not throw it but, there are times I screamed out loud and yelled at all of them. What is even more interesting is that it had me considering nature versus nurture again. Every last one of these people are psychopaths. I literally mean that. Where does a reader go when they are stuck in this story that feels like a car crash that they cannot look away from? Forward! We dig in and work our way through the story just to see what happens. We have no choice. Thanks a lot, author! Am I being sarcastic? I just do not know. It is still raw as I just finished it last night. I had nights where I sat on the edge of my chair with my head in my hand saying out loud what is happening here. I literally said 'WTF - spelled out' out loud while on a conference call with family. Luckily, they love a good story. All I could say was 'I don't understand. What is happening here? Who in the heck are these people? They are awful'. I did my best not to give one spoiler as you have to see it for yourselves. I should also mention that one of my favorite things was the moment the reader gets to see how the book gets its title. This is a story meant to be individually experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Road to Murder by Camilla Trinchieri My rating: 5 of 5 stars Nico Doyle returns in the fourth book in the Tuscan Mystery series, The ...