Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1)Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Burned for Me is a great start to a new series by Ilona Andrews. I received an early release copy through NetGalley. I know this book is great because I am quite off of Urban Fantasy right now and it burned right through my Urban Fantasy reading slump. Burn for Me starts the story of Nevada Baylor who is part of a pretty awesome family. She heads an investigative agency that she inherited from her parents. Her cousin Bern, whom I am particularly fond of, tends to be the person who she worked with most as he is super smart and a supernova when it comes to computers. Every once in a while even the younger siblings get involved, along with her mother, an ex-military with some serious skills with weapons, and her grandmother who is an excellent mechanic with special skills of her own. Unfortunately, she is tasked with capturing a Prime, an extremely gifted mage, with a power that she cannot possibly even defend herself against. She runs afowl another vested party named Mad Rogan who gets under skin. Well, actually they get under each other's skin. Unfortunately, they meet when he kidnaps her and she does not have much recourse initially since he is another Prime.

I have read The Edge series and I also follow the Kate Daniel's series avidly and I have to say that this is another winning series for me. The location, a customized version of Houston, is nicely described, though I am not quite sure of the time period for this series. I get the feeling that it is more of an alternate version of now. The people appear to be ultimately what have evolved. I cannot decide which I loved most about Burn for Me, the action scenes which were very detailed and well-written or the descriptions of the magic. There were some great things left open regarding magic and those that have magic. There is the relationship/anti-relationship between Nevada and Mad. Given the ongoing relationship for Nevada's firm and the family it rolls up to I expect to see a lot more of several other interesting characters. Mad Morgan is a wonderful wild card that I cannot wait to to read more about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Road to Murder by Camilla Trinchieri My rating: 5 of 5 stars Nico Doyle returns in the fourth book in the Tuscan Mystery series, The ...