Sunday, August 15, 2010

When Blood Calls (The Shadow Keepers, #1)When Blood Calls by J.K. Beck

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I was asked to read this book prior to its release and give a review. I was so excited at the prospect at my first official review after rolling out my new blog, that I did not investigate what it was about. I decided the title said it all.When I read the first chapter I thought "oh no I am in deep trouble. I agreed to review this and I hate reading books with legal proceedings as the backdrop." I had two more false starts and on the third one I said to myself "no you agreed to do this read the book and be honest with your how you felt."I just finished it and I can honestly say that I was pleasantly surprised! The legal proceedings were original, not overwhelming and the interweaving of urban fantasy into that part of the story captured my attention. I also was worried when I read the publisher blurb that said the book was a combination of dark paranormal romance and urban fantasy. I am not a big fan of paranormal romance. But, I have read one or two because the subject captured my interest. When Blood Calls has interesting characters and a mystery that kept me up reading late. I almost took it with me to a cookout just so I could see what would happen next. I loved seeing new paranormal creatures and a nice spin on not only the legal system, but, also "inter-species" relations. I am happy I overcame my initial reaction and was introduced to this enticing new world.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Road to Murder by Camilla Trinchieri My rating: 5 of 5 stars Nico Doyle returns in the fourth book in the Tuscan Mystery series, The ...